In 2016 I put myself out there and brought on an apprentice at Jeffalytics. It was one of the best decisions I could have made for my business. Go read that article before continuing with this post.
This year, we are looking to add a writer to our team. Here are the details for the 2017 program.
This is going to sound weird…
… But the ideal candidate for my 2017 apprentice will be a better writer than me within the first year of working together.
You will be published more often than me. You will get more shares, likes, impressions and all of those other nonsense vanity metrics than me. You will write more words, while driving well over 100k visitors to your posts.
And you will love every minute of it. Well, probably not every minute, but most of it will be awesome.
Words words words
Words are powerful, and I love the written form. But as I focus on growing my business, sitting down at a keyboard for 5 consecutive hours to build an epic blog post becomes more difficult. Duty calls elsewhere, and uninterrupted time comes at a premium.
This has resulted in a back-log of article ideas, copywriting projects, and a need to expand my team.
That’s where you fit in.
I want to teach you everything I know about copywriting. That should only take about 1 week. Because I am not a copywriter.
I’m more of an Internet guy who recognizes the power that compelling copy brings to a business. And I want to create a mutually beneficial relationship.
Learn, Teach, Learn, Learn, Learn
Let’s address the elephant in the room. I am known in many circles as the analytics guy. It’s even in this blog name. So you may be wondering how I could be offering an apprenticeship in copywriting. Am I even qualified to give advice on writing?
The short answer is: Who gives a flying F about qualifications. Let’s talk about the benefits. This program will get you up to speed in the following disciplines:
- Analytics and Paid Media – You will write blog posts about technical subjects like Google Analytics and AdWords. These posts will give you a deep understanding of how these platforms work, and give you knowledge by osmosis.
- Landing page optimization – You will optimize and tweak copy for landing pages and sales letters. You will set up A/B tests, think analytically, and make constant improvements.
- Customer interviews, testimonials and case studies – You will interview customers of Jeffalytics and learn their story. You will master the ability to create meaningful, persuasive case studies to draw in more customers.
- Education – You will learn from the best. I have invested well over $10k in online courses that teach how to write copy, emails, landing pages, advertisements, sales video scripts, SEO copy, CRO copy and much, much more. Winning candidate will have access + access to the courses from Jeffalytics.
- Editing – You will make sure that everything is clean as a whistle.
- Email Marketing – You will craft email sequences for on-boarding, free trial to up-sell, one-off messages and much more.
- Sales – You will be exposed to an entire sales funnel and be asked to participate throughout.
- Process – You will jump into an established production process, and then contribute ways to tweak and make future improvements.
- Autonomy – You will have autonomy to make decisions, put yourself out there, and make an impact across multiple aspects of the business.
- Exposure – Your name will be attached to some of the finest articles in the history of the Internet. Ok, maybe that’s a little ambitious. But you will meet many new people and have tons of access.
- Tool-chest – You will become familiar with over 100+ sales and marketing tools. You will learn their nuances, add to your toolbox, and have tangible experience that you can take with you.
- Culture – You will become part of a remote-work culture that spans multiple continents, time zones and specialties.
Sounds like more than just a copywriting gig, doesn’t it?
That’s why we call it an apprenticeship. Written words are the catalyst for our relationship. But it’s everything else that makes this experience priceless.
Introducing the 2017 Copywriting Apprenticeship with Jeffalytics
Much of my success as an internet marketer and entrepreneur came from two apprenticeship experiences, and this is my way of paying it forward.
Jeffalytics is seeking an apprentice (possibly more than one) to help build my business in written form. This apprentice will work to complete objectives, grow readership and revenues, and generate profitable results for the business.
The apprentice will receive advice, autonomy, mentorship, inspiration and (most importantly) loads of experience for their efforts. And compensation as well.
Are you looking for a once in a lifetime opportunity to learn from a successful marketer? Then maybe we should work together.
What type of work will the apprentice be doing?
While the output will be mostly in written form, there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes. This includes:
- User research and interviews
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis (from Google Analytics to Hot Jar)
- Blog posts
- Email sequences
- Sales and landing page copy
- Split testing
- Process development
- Generating revenue, gaining experience and having all kinds of fun
Now I understand that my future apprentice may not have skills in any of these areas (but I at least hope you can have fun). That is what the apprenticeship is for; to learn new skills and try new techniques.
The application process (each step is mandatory)
The goal is for this apprenticeship to last for 12 months, starting in August of 2017. Ideally, we will work together until you feel there is nothing left for you to learn.
If you are still interested, please complete the following steps.
Step 0: Listen to this Podcast Episode
In order to fully understand the value of mentorship, you need to listen to this episode from the Tropical MBA Podcast. It is a 37 minute listen, and is well worth your time, even if you have no interest in this apprenticeship.
Step 1: Fill out the form (deadline is July 24, 2017 at Midnight CST)
Fill out the form below as best as you can. You will immediately receive a percentage grade that shows how closely you fit that criteria that we are considering. While this does not necessarily prohibit you from winning, if you are below 80%, your chances are probably not very good.
This form should take 5-10 minutes to fill out. Make sure to use your preferred email address so that I can reach out to you when the application process is complete.
The form is embedded at the bottom of this post.
Step 2: The Test (only sent to those who pass Step 1)
After step 1 completes and we have a list of viable candidates for the apprenticeship, we will be giving an assignment to determine the best candidate.
The assignment will involve a real world problem Jeffalytics faces as a business and how the candidates will approach the solution. It will likely involve the following projects:
- Write a blog post/article using our existing ideation process
- Suggest copy changes for an existing sales page
- Come up with a treatment for a re-marketing ad
- Write a short email sequence
These details will only be sent out to the qualified candidates from Step 1.
You should also note that the work you submit in Step 2 becomes property of Jeffalytics. I want to be up-front about this beforehand.
FAQs for the apprenticeship program
Isn’t this a lot of work?
Absolutely. It takes a lot of work to gain trust with someone you are meeting over the Internet, so we are both putting in a lot of effort to make this work.
Why would I want a Jeffalytics apprenticeship?
You are getting the opportunity to work with a world class marketer. And by world class, I truly mean all over the world (I have given speeches in 10+ countries since 2015). Not only that, but as a digital nomad I am building this business from locations all over the world (currently Portugal).
I have generated billions (with a b) in revenue for clients using online marketing, tens of millions for my businesses and millions for myself. Jeffalytics has been featured in several top online publications, like Moz, the Official Google Analytics Blog, Search Engine Land and many many more.
How much will I get paid?
That is the wrong question to be asking. You shouldn’t be doing this for the money. You should be doing this for the experience. But I don’t expect you to work for free. Compensation will be offered.
You will not get rich from this apprenticeship. But you will gain knowledge of how to generate wealth for yourself, start your own business, and own your work freedom.
If you have questions, you should be able to find my email address pretty easily. If you can’t even find my email address? Then you probably won’t make it as an apprentice.