Depth of Knowledge Newsletter
August of 2015
When it rains, it pours, or so they say. At least that is the case for me when it comes to webinars. After not doing many webcasts the first half of 2015, I will be doing two webinars in two weeks.
This month it is webinars, and next month it will be all about the podcast. I can’t wait until the September newsletter so I can announce more on that front!
Analytics Tool Watch
Here are some analytics tools that I have come across since we last spoke. Some of these are startups, while others have been around for years. By linking in this newsletter I am not personally endorsing these tools.
- Multi Channel Funnel (multichannelfunnel.com) – Better visualizations for the multi channel funnel report in Google Analytics.
More Cool Tools and Startups
All Analytics and no play makes Jeff a dull boy. Here are some interesting business startups and tools that I have recently come across that I thought you might enjoy.
- Search Console API (google.com) – The documentation behind Google’s new Search Console API. Read this if you want to make apps or just store the data.
Thought Provoking Articles and Guides
- 10 Truths About Data by Simo Ahava (@simoahava) – A good reality check for all of us. Data is a word that is thrown around all of the time, but not everyone understands what it means. I should add my favorite point as #11, though, that Data is dumb.
- Can we reverse the ageing process by putting young blood into older people? by Ian Sample (@iansample) – This is some science fiction level stuff here. I read a compelling book this month about something similar happening called the Postmortal. No more science-fiction (or in this case actual science) before bedtime for me.
- The Complete Guide To Finding Any Email Address: Tools, Tips, Tactics, And More by Bernie Reeder (@berniereeder) – Wish I had this when I was trying to find Mark Cuban’s email address a few years back.
- The Endless Suck of Best Practice and Optimisation Experts by Craig Sullivan (@optimiseordie) – I am a big fan of Craig Sullivan, and particularly enjoy when he rants.
- What is Concrete? by Maddie Stone – About a year ago I asked this question of my father in law. I guess you could say I took concrete for granted. This article is really helpful if you are curious.
- Man Who Quit 9-To-5 Job Makes $1 Million While Traveling The World by Dainius – I am sure these are just on my radar more now that I am traveling full time, but these headlines are popping up everywhere!
- Tips for debugging your Google Tag Manager implementations by David Vallejo (@thyng) – Learn something new in each post about debugging/checking the technical details of your analytics tracking.
- The Impact Of Google’s July 2015 Quality Score Change by Frederick Vallaeys (@SiliconVallaeys) – Great summary of how Google now calculates your AdWords Quality Scores. Your QS now starts at 6 and then changes based on performance from there. No more predictions.
- 14 Best WordPress Plugins to Boost Conversions (CRO) by Sam Oh – I love WordPress plugins list posts, because either it validates my choices or shares something brand new I need to check out.
- A Visual Introduction to Machine Learning by Stephanie Yee (@stephaniejyee) and Tony Chu (@tonyhschu) – Curious about machine learning? Check out this great interactive resource.
- A New Product: The MineThatData Elite Program – Featuring The MineThatData Elite Productivity Index! by Kevin Hillstrom (@minethatdata) – I love this idea so much that I might just have to do a version of it myself.
Popular articles by Jeffalytics
Last month I talked about work-life balance, and things went well until we hit the road for French Polynesia (where we are currently). With poor Internet and natural beauty outside of the hotel room, my writing went out the window.
But I still managed to write two very strong essays that I think you should read. Especially the one about purchasing SEO services. I thought this would get a lot more reaction from people, but went largely unnoticed. Needs a more click-baity headline I guess.