Depth of Knowledge Newsletter
May of 2015
Hey Friend of Jeffalytics!
Nothing excites me more than receiving inbound emails inquiring about my availability as a consultant, speaker or business partner. It often starts out with “I heard from Jane that you would be a great speaker for our conference” or “I really like what you have to say and would appreciate the opportunity to work with you.”
It feels great when the seeds you plant start to blossom into flowers in front of you. Doing good often leads to more opportunity for good, and that has been enough to keep me going over the past 18 months as a solo entrepreneur.
I write this as an intro this month not to brag, but just to share in recent experiences. Several huge opportunities came forward this week that I didn’t anticipate or even imagine. All because of seeds that were planted anywhere from 3 months to 5 years ago.
There are many unknowns in life, but I firmly believe that you can increase your personal odds of success by planting seeds everywhere you can. Most of the time nothing will happen, but with enough coverage you will have a bouquet of opportunities.
The key is to recognize that you don’t know how long it will take for seeds to mature, so it is best to get started right away. Want to become a consultant someday? Start building relationships and writing today. Want to progress your career faster? Start making connections and networking tomorrow. An opportunity may not come up next week, but you could find that you have 20 opportunities by the end of the year.
If you are seeking certainty, planting seeds won’t help you much. You aren’t guaranteeing success, just increasing your odds.
- Skyglue (skyglue.com) – Automated event tracking and more with this Google Analytics add on.
- SERPStat (serpstat.com/) – Competitive reserach tool for SEO.
More Cool Tools and Startups
All Analytics and no play makes Jeff a dull boy. Here are some interesting business startups and tools that I have recently come across that I thought you might enjoy.
- FAQ Fox (faxfox.org) – Nice resource that scans forums and Q&A websites to find your desired keywords.
- Feed the Bot (feedthebot.com) – Website scanning service for SEO that is easy to understand and pretty presentation.
Thought Provoking Articles and Guides
I did not have a lot of spare reading time this month. Teaching classes 10 weekdays in a row (12 classes for the month) really took away all leisure time. So we have a short list of articles this month.
- Why You Should Be Using Google Analytics Smart Lists For Remarketing by Rebekah Schelfhout (@rebekahtweet) – A feature in Google Analytics that gets very little attention.
- Get your S*** Together – Life and Death Planning: Low effort, high rewar by @GYSTnow – Probably the most clever name for a product that I’ve ever seen.
- How to Use Google Analytics to Raise More Money on Kickstarter by Braden Heckman (@braden_heckman) – Excellent integration between GA and a kickstarter page.
- The Best WordPress Plugins Ever Created Since the Dawn of Time by Rob Neu (@rob_neu) – This title baited my click, the content got me to stay. Excellent post and I even learned of a few new plugins!.
Popular articles by Jeffalytics
Not much writing this month due to an intense teaching schedule. But I still managed to get out 3 blog posts. You should pay particular attention to the beginner, intermediate and advanced Google Analytics resources posts.