Depth of Knowledge Newsletter
November of 2015
Holy cow, November!
The month that I got excited about my business again.
The month where I spent over 60 hours teaching in classrooms all over Minneapolis (welcome to the newsletter, students!).
The month when I narrowly escaped the cold of Minnesota and then found myself freezing my butt off photographing the Grand Canyon.
After traveling to 9 countries and territories over the course of 4 months, it was nice to set foot again on US soil. I rediscovered my love for fast Internet connections, friends and family. I lost my taste for bitter beers and preservatives.
And most importantly, I was surrounded with so much love from friends, family and business associates that I have enough fuel to kick off the next stage of the journey.
Spending several months on the road has acted like a sabbatical of sorts. Hours of uninterrupted think time gave me the opportunity to think more clearly than ever on the direction I should be taking my business.
Connections were drawn, a mental mind map was established, and things are starting to tie together in ways I never imagined. It is equal parts exciting and daunting; when will I find the time to get it all done?
Podcast Guests = Great Peers!
Motivation comes at random times and in odd packages. Spending time away from the Internet gave me the needed opportunity to think clearly.
Surrounding myself with friends and students gave me the energy and motivation to do something about it.
You know what else motivated me? Listening to the stories of entrepreneurship from my podcast guests.
If you have visited Jeffalytics lately, you will notice that the homepage is very well covered with Podcast episode covers. A few of you are avid listeners of the Jumpstart podcast, while most of you have not listened yet.
You might think that podcasts are inconvenient or a poor substitute for the radio.
You might be overwhelmed with your backlog of podcasts.
Or you might not have gotten around to it.
Whatever the case, you should listen.
Why? Because you get to hear, firsthand, the stories of successful entrepreneurs.
“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” – Jim Rohn
An interesting phenomenon has happened for me while interviewing successful people – a phenomenon that I never imagined would be possible.
The podcast has motivated me to become more successful myself!
Not only that, but it has given me a blueprint to follow, compare and contrast with my own career progression.
How to subscribe?
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and you will receive episodes right when they come out! Last month I provided a link to subscribe yourself to a podcast email list. That ended up failing miserably. Sorry about that! If you would like to receive a weekly update on the podcast episodes that are released, please click this Link.
Analytics Tool Watch
Here are some analytics tools that I have come across since we last spoke. Some of these are startups, while others have been around for years. By linking in this newsletter I am not personally endorsing these tools.
- Piwik Open Analytics Platform – Open source and self-hosted analytics platform that is available for free or at a cost (for the hosted version).
- Google Analytics – Fun Fact: Google Analytics celebrated their 10th birthday in November. Happy Birthday!
Digital Marketing Tools
- My Tweet Alerts – A sophisticated twitter search engine for keywords that you find important.
- Visual Hunt – Search engine for creative commons photos (h/t @randfish).
- Google Advertiser Community – Google relaunched community and forums for AdWords, Local and Analytics.
Newsletter Subscriber Offers!
Several tool providers have approached me with offers for my students and newsletter subscribers, so I thought I would start to list them in this space:
- Crazy Egg – 60 Day Free Trial of Crazyegg
- Keyword Tool – $20 off monthly subscription to keywordtool.io – sign up for an account and say you came from Jeffalytics and they will give you the discount!
- SimilarWeb & SEMRush – email me for details
Thought Provoking Articles and Guides
So many articles this month! I have been reading up on Facebook ads lately, so you will notice that there are many of these articles making it into this list. It’s the future I tell you.
- Technical Marketing is the Price of Admission – Mike King was on my podcast in between presentations and credits his technical skills as a big part of his success. Here he does a presentation on the topic.
- 14 List Building Hacks to Grow Your Email Database Fast – I have seen this same article about 500 times in various forms. But each time I learn something new.
- A Powerful Use Case for GA Calculated Metrics – Stop the presses, my friend Peter O’Neill finally wrote something. (P.S. Click this link and we will utm-bomb Peter with “Jeffalytics Loves You”).
- Four easy calculated metrics you can implement in Google Analytics – Calculated metrics are all of the rage!
- The definitive guide to data-driven attribution – Hard to be definitive in this area, but Adometry gives it a shot.
- 10 Facebook Marketing Tips Based on 3Q2015 Earnings – Told you there would be a lot of Facebook focus here!
- Happy 10th Birthday, Google Analytics! – Top 10 list from Google – their best features.
- Facebook Lead Generation Ads: How to Get Started – SO much cheaper than AdWords!
- $9 Marketing Stack: A Step-by-Step Guide – Love this idea so much I might just be using it myself for future content formatting.
- 13 Stats That Should Terrify CMOs – In case you need more evidence.
- Google Analytics is 10 years old – What’s changed? – By one of the original GA people.
- Latest Google Search Quality Rater’s Guide: Mobile Rewrite – What does Google consider to be a high quality page for SEO? Learn here.
- 26 Pricing Page Examples and Best Practices – Nice visual guide if you are lacking in ideas.
- Why the US Hides 700 Million Barrels of Oil Underground – Couldn’t help but think of Dr Evil’s underground lair.
- All The Comments on Every Recipe Blog – I was laughing out loud at this one to the point where people started looking at me funny.
- Keep Your Accounts Clutter-Free With This AdWords Script – Clean up the junk keywords in your AdWords account.
- Introduction to Piwik – Best Google Analytics Alternative – If you are seeking an alternative to GA without sampling, here is a good jumping off point.
- PPC Blogs You Need To Be Reading Right Now – Resource for AdWords
- 10 Things I’ve Learned While Learning Facebook Ads – Learn, learn, learn, EARN!
- Facebook Marketing Partners Directory – This was new to me, so I thought you might enjoy it too.
- 4 Ways to Export Your Google Analytics Data with R – I have not tried these yet, but thought maybe you might appreciate the resource.
- #GTMTips: Referral Exclusion On Receipt Page – Simo has the unique ability to get me to rush and implement something I didn’t know I needed before reading the article.
- Tracking Offline Purchases with Enhanced Ecommerce and Google Forms – These types of articles are why I love Lunametrics.
- How To Suck At Social Media: An Indispensable Guide For Businesses – Great reminder from Avinash. Always easy to pick on B2B companies, but even harder to do something about it.
Content Produced by Jeffalytics
This month was all about the podcast. It is really hard to write while doing classroom teaching, so I didn’t even get a single article out. Hoping to improve this in December.