Depth of Knowledge Newsletter
October of 2015
There was a lot going on this month, so I thought I would just get right to the details! Sorry that the newsletter is a day late, but lots of things are going on. First of all, I just arrived back in the United States for the first time after spending the past 4 months abroad. Second, I have decided to move to a new email service provider that should (hopefully) better fit my needs.
Mailchimp was starting to break under the pressure of my evolving business complexity and I have decided to move on to trying ConvertKit. The transition has been very easy, but it has meant a slight delay in delivery ofthe newsletter.
With the new system in place, I will be able to continue to deliver this newsletter, while also sending other emails based on your preferences and interests. My long term worry was alienating newsletter recipients with other content they didn’t find relevant. With ConvertKit using a tag based system, you can select only the content that is interesting to you (i.e. just this broadcast newsletter, online learning and training, and other emails). More on this to come.
The Jumpstart Podcast going strong
The podcast was launched on October 1st, and things are going very strong! We have released episodes with Rand Fishkin, Krista Seiden, Julien Coquet, Lisa Grimm and Cyrus Shepard. You can view all episodes at the Podcast Episodes page.
Only a month into releasing the podcast project and I can already report to you that it has been one of the most rewarding things I have done.
How can I already declare this? Because it has done so much to create a bond between me and other marketing industry contributors. My friendship has strengthened with all guests, and I learned new things that I can immediately apply to my business. Holy motivation!
There are no signs of things slowing down, either – with Michael King, Aleyda Solis and Oli Gardner episodes being released over the next few weeks!
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and you will receive episodes right when they come out! Or if you click on this link to the Podcast, you will start to receive podcast episodes via email, automatically. How cool is that?
My goal is to keep this newsletter in the format you have come to know and love, while also providing you with more content options based on your preferences.
On to the newsletter.
Analytics Tool Watch
Here are some analytics tools that I have come across since we last spoke. Some of these are startups, while others have been around for years. By linking in this newsletter I am not personally endorsing these tools.
- Drunk User Testing – I learned about this tool from Sean Burton at Analyt during his presentation at eMetrics in London. Cool concept and nice reality check.
Digital Marketing Tools
- Social Footprint Plugin – Matthew Barby created his first WordPress plugin, and it’s worth checking out.
- Convertkit – My new email provider for this newsletter.
Newsletter Subscriber Offers!
Several tool providers have approached me with offers for my students and newsletter subscribers, so I thought I would start to list them in this space:
- Crazy Egg – 60 Day Free Trial of Crazyegg
- Keyword Tool – $20 off monthly subscription to keywordtool.io – sign up for an account and say you came from Jeffalytics and they will give you the discount!
- SimilarWeb – email me for details!
Thought Provoking Articles and Guides
- 50+ Places To Repurpose Your Content: The Ultimate Guide – by Garrett Moon – this is one of those articles you should save and look at often. Maybe even print it?
- Data Import Step-by-Step Guide for Google Analytics – by Jim Gianoglio – Great content coming from Lunametrics lately.
- Think Differently About RLSA & Boost Your Conversion Volume – by Susan Waldes – Filed under things I need to do right away!
- The Marketing Executive’s Guide to Google Algorithm Updates & SEO Risk – by Dan Kern – This will help with soft-skills.
- 5 Questions To Select The Right Structure For Your International Websites – by Aleyda Solis – Not something I do often, but definitely worth reading if International SEO is on your radar.
- The Swipe File That Gets Me Through The Lousiest Times =) – by Lauren Holiday – I loved this. So much joy!
- Site Search Tracking without Query String Parameters – by Mike Arneson – Have seen several articles like this over the years, but a good reminder if you need it.
- A Ballers Guide to Modern SEO – Cool way to take an interview with Mike King (future Podcast guest), where the answers are turned into a blog post. Much cleaner than my current podcast write-ups. Worth a try?
- On the Hunt for America’s Last Great Treasure – By Peter Frick-Wright – Treasure hunting drives one man crazy
- Hit Charade Meet the bald Norwegians and other unknowns who actually create the songs that top the charts – by Nathaniel Rich – Why I don’t do Pop music in the first place!
- How to Work 40 Hours in 16.7 – by Chris Winfield – Love new life hacks, but never follow through on them
- The Rise and Fall of .Ly – by Rosie Cima – This is why I usually just choose .com or .net domains
Content Produced by Jeffalytics
- Podcast Episode 1: Rand Fishkin
- Podcast Episode 2: Krista Seiden
- Podcast Episode 3: Julien Coquet
- Podcast Episode 4: Lisa Grimm
- Podcast Episode 5: Cyrus Shepard
I also wrote about how a simple change to my opt-in form resulted in an extra 7-10 emails a day. Since that time, the emails have been rolling in even more! I got 250 extra leads in October from one 10 minute change. In fact, several of you are now reading this newsletter for the first time as a result.
Even better? With ConvertKit, we will soon be able to send great content about reporting and analytics to any list subscribers interested in that specific topic.