Last week I shared a list of Google Analytics Resources for beginners and intermediate level users. Many people viewed these resources and shared on social media. Even the Google Analytics marketing team picked on the resources and shared. Thanks to all who spread the word!
This week was another week of an intense teaching schedule that prevented me from writing a full blog post. Given the success of beginner and intermediate resources, I am providing some more “advanced” resources as well. Of course, advanced is a relative term, but these resources are helpful for those who are looking to take Google Analytics to another level.
Again, my long term wish is to turn this into a more formal resource/guide (Periodic Table of GA 2015 Edition?), but in my time bankrupt state, I am just going right to the resources today.
Google Analytics Advanced Resources
Here are resources and functions in Google Analytics that may be useful as you become more advanced in your use of the tool.
Upload data to google Analytics
There are two main ways to upload data into Google Analytics. One is to use measurement protocol to write a program to push data into GA. The other is to use the data import function. Data import function allows for programmatic uploads or CSV file uploads. Here is more info on each:
- Measurement protocol information – https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/reference
- Cost data import – Automate the process using the Supermetrics Uploader – http://supermetrics.com/product/supermetrics-uploader/
- Manually or programatically add data using data import (CSV files will work) – https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3191589?hl=en
- Types of data you can import:
- User Data—create segments and remarketing lists that incorporate imported user metadata, such as a loyalty rating or lifetime customer value.
- Campaign Data—expand and reuse your existing non-Google campaign codes by importing ad campaign-related dimensions, such as source.
- Geographical Data—create custom geographical regions, allowing you to report on and analyze Google Analytics data in ways that are better aligned with your business' organization.
- Content Data—group content using imported content metadata, such as author, date published, and article category.
- Product Data—gain better merchandising insights by importing product metadata, such as size, color, style, or other product-related dimensions.
- Custom Data—provides support for importing custom data sets.
- Google Partner Apps for Automation – http://www.google.com/analytics/partners/search/apps
Becoming a Google Analytics Certified Partner
- Think you know GA? Here is the rigorous criteria needed to get you certified – http://www.google.com/analytics/partners/listing/service#tab=tab-requirements
Tag Manager Developer Guide
- Straight from the source. This will help you get started – https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/devguide
- And then use Simo's Razor to finish what you started – http://www.simoahava.com
Social Interaction Tracking
- Track interaction with your social buttons using this code – https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/social-interactions
Google Analytics Tracking Code Enhancements
- Want to customize your tracking code? Check out this resource – https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/methods/gaJSApiBasicConfiguration#_gat.GA_Tracker_._setSiteSpeedSampleRate
Google Analytics E-Commerce Tracking for Universal Analytics
- Universal Analytics – https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/ecommerce
- Google Analytics E-Commerce Code (old Version) – https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingEcommerce
Building Dashboards and reports with Google Analytics data
- True AdWords ROI dashboard – https://knowledge.land/true-google-adwords-roi-spreadsheet-ecommerce/
- Monthly Report Template – https://knowledge.land/monthly-report-presentation-template/
Variable Guide for Google Tag Manager
- Google Tag manager Variable Guide – http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/variable-guide-google-tag-manager/
- Auto event tracking in GTM 2.0 – http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/auto-event-tracking-gtm-2-0/
Search Engine Configuration (what are default search engines)
- Referrals from search engines not counting as Organic search? Look here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingTraffic#searchEngine
- Replace your default Google Analytics homepage with Analytics Woman – https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/analytics-woman/flpahljjkojbfehefeghkehfophibjol?hl=en-US
- Google Analytics Shortcuts – http://www.seotakeaways.com/google-analytics-shortcuts-tricks-tools-keyboard-apis/
- Google Analytics keyboard shortcuts – Press shift + ? And/or look here: http://www.e-nor.com/blog/general/google-analytics-keyboard-shortcuts
Google Analytics IQ Testing Info:
- Google Analytics Testing Site: https://www.google.com/partners/
- Google Analytics IQ FAQ: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3424287?hl=en
- Preparing for the GA Test: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3424288?hl=en
- Google Webmaster Tools – https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/
- Google Tag Manager – https://www.google.com/tagmanager/
- Heatmap tool that works with Tag Manager – http://www.clicktale.com/
- Browser Tracking Opt Out – http://donottrack.us/
- Google Analytics Base Code Optimizations – https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/methods/gaJSApiBasicConfiguration#_gat.GA_Tracker_._setSiteSpeedSampleRate
- Sharing Cookies Across Multiple Domains –https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/methods/gaJSApiDomainDirectory